Friday, March 26, 2010

A PSA

image

Let’s be clear, the wearing of tights as pants is an abomination. TIGHTS ARE NOT PANTS.

Sure, in the context of sports, ballet, hair metal, and renaissance fairs – tights can function as suitable leg coverings – but still THEY ARE NOT PANTS. No, these are not events that magically transform tights into pants; these are historically acceptable acts of pantlessness.

Tights as pants leave nothing to the imagination. Tight as pants are an affront to those of us who prefer not to know the most intimate details of their neighbour’s bodies. Tights as pants are the fashion equivalent of too much information. This gratuitous divulgence of assets repels where the tights-as-pants wearer presumably hopes to entice.

We have tired of tolerating attempts to force tights into a non-native garment category and have decided to do something about it.image (via)

Harsh? Maybe, but something I feel very strongly about nonetheless. Especially now as the warmer weather this has become an increasingly apparent issue. I am by no means opposed to tights – when worn as tights. Under a little dress, long tunic type shirt, under a skirt with a nice pair of boots – the possibilities for tights as tights are virtually endless. However the usage of them as pants should end now.

That is all.

14 comments:

  1. I think you should also include "LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS" '

    Totally needed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely.
    and i add:
    tunics are not dresses.
    and
    spandex is a privilege, not a right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yesterday, i saw a girl, with white leggings and baby tshirt. go figure. leaves nothing to the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i second that about the leggings. I ALWAYS see girls wearing them as pants around campus and I just look at them and think "Oooo girl, you do NOT look good." lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty sure this is the best post ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed! I was on the bus the other day with a tights-as-pants believer and learned more about her underwear habits then I ever wanted to know. Sad really!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! My thoughts exactly! I saw one too many examples of this over the past 3 days of people watching in Disneyland this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. amen. tights are meant for dresses and skirts and dance. period. the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wear tights with almost everything. HOWEVER, I never wear them alone.


    Ew.

    I am usually the girl wearing tights under shorts. Yeaaaah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously... TIGHTS ARE NOT PANTS...

    ReplyDelete